WEB mm pr1 EDIT 2014 Insiders Historic Buildings
“INSIDER’S HISTORIC BUILDING TOURS”
Tours will take place Sunday, March 23, 2014 as part of
the Victorian Festival which takes place March 22-23, 2014.
The Hastings Building built 1889
SUNDAY, MARCH 23, 2014
“Insider’s Historic Building Tours” at the Victorian Festival
Coordinated by the Port Townsend Main Street Program
These tours reveal intriguing stories from the past and visions for the future. Tickets are limited, some restrictions apply.
Please note: Because of the historical nature of the buildings on these tours, some of them may not be handicapped accessible and may require climbing stairs. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Purchase tickets online: $10 each
DOWNTOWN TOUR 11 AM TO 12:45 PM
The Leader Building: Built 1874
Leader Publishers Richard McCurdy and Ray O. Scott street-side in 1947
The Fowler Building (aka The Leader Building) 226 Adams Street
Capt. Enoch S. Fowler, a skipper and early Port Townsend entrepreneur,
built this two-story building from sandstone quarried from Marrowstone Island
in 1874. It was once the largest masonry building in town, constructed 15-20 years before the building boom
of Victorian-style structures. It served as a performance hall and the county courthouse,
becoming home to the Leader newspaper in 1916. The building is today 140 years old,
and the Leader, at 125 years, is Jefferson County's oldest continuous business.
Tour Leader: Scott Wilson, publisher of the Port Townsend & Jefferson County Leader.
2005 Port Townsend Family Portrait Outside Mount Baker Block
The Mount Baker Block Building 1890 211 Taylor Street
Get a first-hand look at Port Townsend's "shanghai tunnels" in a monumental 1890 building erected by Port Townsend's first mayor, and learn about its history in the heart of the historic district.
Tour Leader: Mari Mullen, Executive Director of the Port Townsend
Main Street Program.
Eisenbeis Building Renovation Completed 2013
The Eisenbeis Building, 1889 830 Water Street.
Also built by Port Townsend’s first mayor, Charles Eisenbeis (he was a busy man!) This major commercial building was constructed with Port Townsend bricks, and it has been completely renovated into a mixed-use building. Here about its transformation and how it is contributing to the revitalization of Port Townsend.
Tour Leader: Michelle Sandoval, Windermere Real Estate
The Hastings Building Built 1889--Still Owned by
The Hastings Building 1889 833-839 Water Street
Climb the stairs to the past at the landmark Hastings Building and get a rare look at a grand historic building frozen in time, but poised for a transformation that will be one of the most exciting preservation projects in Washington State.
Tour Leader: Heather Dudley Nollette, Project Manager for the Hastings Building (and descendant of Lucinda & Loren B. Hastings, original building owners).
Please note: Some of these historic buildings are accessed by steep stairways. The Eisenbeis Building and the Mount Baker Block are ADA Accessible on the upper floors via elevator. The Hastings Building is accessed by steep stairs.
UPTOWN TOUR 1 PM TO 3 PM
Meet at The Bell Tower
The Bell Tower 1890– near the top of the Haller Fountain Stairs
The Bell Tower is one of only two known examples of this type of tower in the United States. It was actively used to summon volunteer firefighters from 1890 to the 1940s. Tour participants will learn why Port Townsend has an “Uptown Historic District,” how it evolved, and participants will be allowed access inside the Bell Tower’s main floor.
Tour Leader: Bill Tennent, Director, Jefferson County Historical Society
A Pharmacy, a Children’s Clothing Store, A
The Gallus Rutz Building Built 1889 1044 Lawrence Street
Dr. Gallus Rutz operated his pharmacy on the first floor and housed his family above. Hear the interesting history of this building which has housed myriad tenants reflecting the changing business climate of Port Townsend. The tour includes a sneak peak at “Grandma Lillie’s Apartment” upstairs, decorated with nostalgic flair.
(Please note: This building is not ADA accessible; it is accessed by stairs to the second floor.)
Tour Leader: Building owner Helen Gunn
The Harry Barthrop House --The Quimper Inn
The Barthrop House (aka The Quimper Inn Bed & Breakfast) 1306 Franklin
It was built by Captain Henry Morgan in 1888 and after some years was bought by
Harry and Gertie Barthrop. The Barthrops did a major re-style in 1904. The Inn has had numerous owners and was
opened for business in the early 70's. Sue and Ron Ramage bought it in 1990
and have operated the Inn since 1991. This building has a few steps at the rear entrance and stairways to the second floor.
Tour Leaders: Ron and Sue Ramage, owners
Tickets sales benefit the Victorian Festival and the Port Townsend Main Street Program, a 501c3 nonprofit. Limit: 30 persons per tour.
The Victorian Heritage Festival is organized by Olympic Peninsula Steam with support from Victorian Society: Northwest. To see the complete Victorian Festival schedule or to buy tickets in advance visit www.vicfest.org.
Events subject to change www.vicfest.org www.ptmainstreet.org